Saturday 19 May 2012

bookshelf #1



I picked up this book as I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan and was intrigued to see how the author would interpret the characters. I've never read an Anthony Horowitz novel before but after reading his profile on Wikipedia realised I must have watched a programme written by him as he has written a lot for TV including Agatha Christie adaptations and Midsomer Murders.

So what is the book about? The premise of the book is that it is a case Dr Watson could not publish during Sherlock's life so he has written the details of it to be read after his death. I enjoyed the way the author captured the relationship between Sherlock and Dr Watson and thought it was faithful to the original works. The novel was quick-paced and the style reflects Horowitz's scriptwriting background. I could easily see this being adapted for TV.  The only thing I felt let the novel down was the plot. It was not as complicated as I hoped and I guessed fairly early on what the House of Silk was going to be.

Overall, The House of Silk did not match up to the original Holmes mysteries, however I still enjoyed it and it has made me want to read another Anthony Horowitz book - always a good sign!

Have you read the House of Silk or are you able to recommend any other Anthony Horowitz books?

Julie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment